Sunday, February 12, 2012

DR according to Suzanne :)

Wow! Friday was almost too much to put into words.

We spent the morning visiting the homes of Mirabel and Yolanda. There are in two different communities in the area of the project. We arrived at the first community and walked in the alley way. The homes on both sides of the alley were like nothing I had ever seen. I don't know how to explain it. The poverty was so evident and inescapable. The newly built home was like a beacon of hope in the alley. We got to meet the owner and her family and tour her home. I am so proud of my Sequoia family for the beautiful home I saw!

Then we got on the bus and went to the community of the second build. When we got off the bus and started walking in, I thought this place looks pretty nice. As we got deeper into the community and walked down the path to the slum, my heart ached with what I saw. I can't really explain it. If I hadn't seen it and someone described it to me, I would have thought they were exaggerating. The poverty was so significant and so extreme. When I saw Yolanda's home in the midst of it, I almost wept. What a beautiful home for a beautiful lady and her family. She was so pleased to give a tour of her home and especially excited to show pictures of Donna and Mike that she has on her kitchen wall. She hugged me many times and was so friendly with me. 

Michele and I (and Glen and the boys) walked deeper into the community and visited the home of Jason and Moses and chatted with their mom. This home is a shack made of sheets of tin and there is one room, divided into two by a curtain. I got to talk with her quite a bit as she spoke French and I was actually able to ask and answer quite a few questions. My heart breaks for this family as I am SURE God's heart does. We prayed for the family outside of their home and then headed back to the Yolanda's home. There is a community square (of sorts) right in front of her home and there were many many people, especially kids gathered there. They hugged us and played with us and it was such an amazing time!!! We prayed as a large group right in front of her house. It was a powerful experience. 

As I describe those two communities, I truly can't find the right words. I have a lot of pictures (some on Michele's camera bc my battery died) that I can't wait to share, NOT because the poverty is so extreme and overwhelming (which it definitely is) but BECAUSE of how happy and joyful the people were!! They were clearly thrilled we were there. And they were so extremely welcoming and warm. And watching the people, and especially the kids, loving and taking care of one other it was clear that we had MUCH more to learn from them than we ever have to teach or give them.

I have been documenting our experience here in the DR daily in a private FB group - if you'd like to be added to see what the Pye family experienced, send me a message on FB!

Blessings,
Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment